Here is Bucannon's updated scouting profile via nfl.com:
Strengths The Washington State product has good length and overall size. Reads run and drops downhill quickly. Has an old-school mentality — likes contact and is a physical tackler (seeks to punish the ball carrier). Shows pop on contact. Covers kicks and has an ideal mentality for special teams. Productive four-year starter.
Weaknesses Struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind. Some tightness in his hips. Takes some inaccurate angles. Man-coverage limitations (struggles to mirror slot receivers). Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Lacks discipline on the field and makes too many mental mistakes. Got shook in the hole for a 75-yard TD vs. Colorado State and gives up too many big plays with bad angles.
Bottom Line Good-sized, athletic, physical safety who stands out as a straight-line striker on tape and sets the tone. Has coverage limitations, but brings aggressiveness and intensity to carve a niche as a downhill box defender and core special-teams player. Must learn to become more assignment sound to maximize his potential. Has some similarities to Tampa Bay FS Dashon Goldson.
- Follow us on Twitter @Cardinals_101
- 2014 NFL Draft: Arizona Cardinals Select Safety Deone Bucannon in First Round of NFL Draft
- Arizona Cardinals’ Deone Bucannon Remains Unsigned – for Now
- Arizona Cardinals May Draft a Safety in the First Round of NFL Draft
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft Preview: Jimmie Ward, Strong Safety
- Arizona Cardinals’ Player Profile: Tyrann Mathieu
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bsw