Niklas is 6-foot-6 and weighs 270 pounds. He can only help as a target for quarterback Carson Palmer in the red zone.
Let's take a look at the scouting profile for Niklas via our friends at nfl.com:
Strengths Outstanding size with a well-proportioned, muscular build. Big target over the middle and in the red zone. Athletic with flexible hips and knees to run the full tight end route tree. Bursts into routes and stretches the seam. Good hands. Has playmaking ability. Lined up flexed and in-line. Good potential as a blocker. Bends his knees, shuffles and fans rushers wide. Works well in tandem and can combo block effectively. Takes care of his body and maintains low body fat. Has NFL bloodlines.
Weaknesses Work in progress as an in-line blocker — lacks ideal base strength, grip strength and overall body power. Bends at the waist and falls off some blocks. Route running needs refinement. Is still learning to use his frame advantageously — inconsistent traffic player. Lacks elite top-end speed. Average elusiveness and creativity after the catch. Could stand to play with more physicality and become a better finisher.
Bottom Line A converted DE/OLB who emerged from the shadow of Bengals 2013 first-rounder Tyler Eifert, Niklas is the latest in a strong line of NFL tight ends produced by Notre Dame. He boasts an intriguing combination of size, athleticism, receiving ability and blocking ability to develop into a bona fide, balanced, No. 1 tight end. Has played tight end for just two years and is clearly ascending.
- Be sure to "like" our Facebook page
- Follow us on Twitter @Cardinals_101
- 2014 NFL Draft: Arizona Cardinals Select Safety Deone Bucannon in First Round of NFL Draft
- Prediction: Arizona Cardinals Will Select C.J. Mosley in First Round of NFL Draft
- Will the Arizona Cardinals Try to Select OT Zach Martin in the NFL Draft?
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals NFL Draft Preview: Tight End Eric Ebron
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft Preview: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1av1