Let's take a look at a player the Red Birds may select when they are "on the clock". That player is Taylor Lewan, an offensive tackle from the University of Michigan. Lewan is 6-foot-7 and weighs 309 pounds.
Here is his scouting profile via our friends at nfl.com:
Strengths Accomplished, four-year starter vs. Big Ten competition. Clean kickslide in pass protection. Good knee bend, footwork and recovery quickness to handle outside speed and inside counters. Very good balance, is seldom on the ground. Is quick climbing to the second level to reach linebackers. Plays with intensity and the game is very important to him. Tough and very durable. Produced the best 40-yard time (4.79 seconds) and broad jump (9-foot-9) of any offensive lineman at the combine.
Weaknesses Is not a gritty, physical finisher. Has a lean lower body and does not explode on contact. Can be inverted by power and does not carry a load in his hands. Could do a better job recognizing and adjusting to the outside blitz. Quirky personality that can be easily misunderstood.
Draft Projection Round 1
Bottom Line An experienced, finesse left tackle with the length, agility and temperament to hold down a starting job for a long time. Is nuanced in pass protection and would fit best in a slide-lateral movement, bucket-stepping, zone-based blocking scheme. Similar in mold to Patriots 2011 17th overall selection Nate Solder. Outstanding combine performance could elevate his draft status.
- Be sure to "like" our Facebook page
- Follow us on Twitter @Cardinals_101
- Red Birds NFL Draft Preview: Cyrus Kouandjio, Offensive Tackle
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft Preview: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals NFL Draft Preview: Tight End Eric Ebron
- Arizona Cardinals’ 2014 NFL Draft Preview: OLB Ryan Shazier
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft Preview: QB Derek Carr
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aj2